Pastoral services play an integral role in our Catholic health, community and aged care facilities – a role that lies at the heart of a holistic approach to healing which encompasses the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual.
Through ritual, prayer, reflection, a gentle compassionate presence or a shared silence, today’s pastoral practitioners become a face of human comfort and healing.
St Vincent’s Health Australia’s Pastoral Services:
- we provide spiritual and emotional support to residents, families and staff
- we offer a sensitive, caring presence
- we are in touch with an individual’s personal journey
- we accompany people as they tell and reflect on their story, and
- we provide one to one support.
Facilities will differ in the makeup of their pastoral services team but will include members of the following:
- designated pastoral practitioners – paid employees with pastoral and theological background and training
- Chaplains – who represent a specific faith tradition and deliver pastoral services on behalf of their religious denomination to members of their denomination, and
- volunteers who are trained for a specific area of ministry, for example ministers of communion and pastoral visiting.
When visiting or staying at any one of our facilities please ask the nursing staff in your area to contact the Pastoral Care Services team. The Pastoral Care practitioner will be able to help you with your needs and inquiries regarding Chapel location and church service times.